Skincare enthusiasts know that vitamin C is one of the most important ingredients to include in one’s skincare regime. A powerful antioxidant, vitamin C offers a multitude of benefits. From its anti-ageing properties, to its ability to help fight the formation of hyperpigmentation and breakouts, it’s an all-rounder that no skincare regime should be without.
Here are five reasons why vitamin C should be your go-to skincare ingredient this summer:
1. It promotes collagen production Collagen is a protein naturally produced by our bodies, but over time it begins to deplete. When our collagen levels decrease, skin starts to sag and lines and wrinkles set in. Vitamin C is critical for skin to produce collagen through the process of collagen synthesis. More collagen means firmer, more elastic skin with an overall tighter effect.
2. It helps increase the skin’s tolerance for the sun It’s impossible to avoid the sun completely during summer, but it is possible to protect your skin from the effects of the sun’s harmful UV rays. Using an effective vitamin C product alongside your broad spectrum SPF can increase your protection from sun damage. That’s because vitamin C’s antioxidant qualities prevent oxidative damage and neutralise the damage caused by free radicals. When using a vitamin C serum or cream with your sunscreen, you’ll enjoy optimum protection.
3. It protects skin from hyperpigmentation The sun is the number one cause of hyperpigmentation (dark marks) and uneven skin tone. That’s why those of us who are prone to it, experience darkening of hyperpigmentation during summer. When our skin is exposed to the sun, it produces melanin, the substance responsible for pigment in the skin. When melanin is overproduced, it results in hyperpigmentation. Vitamin C helps inhibit the production of melanin by decreasing the activity of an enzyme called tyrosinase. Vitamin C helps to prevent the formation of hyperpigmentation, but it also has the ability to lighten existing hyperpigmentation.
4. It increases radiance Many of us struggle with a dull or tired-looking complexion after winter. Vitamin C is known to brighten the skin, leaving it with that sought-after “lit from within” glow. It’s also a great ingredient for those of us who are feeling (and thus looking) a little tired after a long year, as its brightening effect is particularly effective in areas like around the eyes, where tiredness sets in first.
5. It helps reduce acne and breakouts Acne and breakouts can strike any time of the year, but because skin gets oilier and sweatier during summer, it’s common during the warmer months. Vitamin C has anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce inflammation and speed up the process of healing breakouts. It is also effective at treating scars left behind by pimples (known as post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation). Additionally, vitamin C can help reduce the formation of acne thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties that help control the skin’s natural sebum production.
Lamelle Research Laboratories has a variety of highly effective vitamin C products available to suit all skin types and concerns:
The gentle anti-age skin booster. Not all skins can tolerate pure Ascorbic acid (vitamin C) and many derivative forms aren’t as effective. That’s why Lamelle invested so much time and effort into creating an exciting lipid-soluble form of vitamin C that delivers ascorbic acid-comparable results but is gentle enough to be used on sensitive and dry skin. This serum contains 20% vitamin C, jojoba seed oil and ginger root extract.
The original Lamelle L-Ascorbic-Acid product, Correctives Recharge CE has been updated with the inclusion of additional 1% tocopherol (vitamin E) and is a thinner suspension that delivers a more tolerable 20% concentration of L-Ascorbic-Acid. It’s intended as the entry-level product for skins that can tolerate Ascorbic Acid. It offers powerful antioxidant protection, reduced signs of ageing, a more even skin tone and increased radiance.
The highest-concentration non-prescription Ascorbic acid available. No one thought you could deliver pure ascorbic acid in this high concentration safely. Lamelle created Correctives Vita C 30 with 30% ascorbic acid – and it’s proven safe and effective. Use it for more intensive age correcting results or if you’re exposed to more free radical damage than normal (smokers, road runners or those who spend more time outdoors).
If you’re looking to improve the overall condition of your skin while protecting it against UV damage, hyperpigmentation, breakouts and dullness, vitamin C is the ingredient for you this summer.